Sunday, April 17, 2011

Never Gets Old

April 17, 2011
New Delhi, 8:30p

“Cosmopolitan” implies a certain nonchalance and see-it-allness; a sort of cool adultness about things.  I am, therefore, decidedly not cosmopolitan.  India is a complete amazing freakshow and, after having spent decent chunks of time here, I say with confidence that the freaky just doesn’t let up.  I am just as completely awestruck, silly, apologetic and sometimes timid as I was just making my way through Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport 11 years ago.  Specifically, being pursued by the elderly bathroom attendant as I exited the restroom doors and down the hall, muttering something that didn’t really sound like good energy. Me: completely terrified, utterly fascinated and, well, laughing quite honestly; then my husband concludes:  you asked for toilet paper, didn’t you?  I was apparently remiss in not tipping Auntie-ji for the favor.  

So, define spurious...?

The newness is unrelenting even when I’ve seen it before, and it still throws me off balance sometimes.  The busy roads of monsoon Delhi are a mean place for a kid who looks upsettingly like Arjun, and I still do a double take although I’ve cultivated that look that says “I am unaffected.”  But I guess somehow I am,  and more and more I can’t call it judgment or dismay, just observation.  I like it; it’s like life, how life really should be.  You know?  Every moment is new, pregnant with possibilities limited only by our feeble little minds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am living thru you. Keep them coming.

Purple Neon Lights said...

I'm enjoying this blog very much, and I am saving the link to it. Thank you! :)

Post a Comment